Starting weight: 10 st 7 lb
January weight: 9 st 10 lb
February weight: 9 st 0 lb (weight on 1st Feb would have been around 9 st 4 lb)
March weight: 8 st 12 lb
April weight: 8 st 7 lb (119 lbs or 54 kg)
Total weight loss: 28 lbs
I’ve gone quite a bit under my original 2018 target weight of 9 stones! The recommended weight for a 50 year old medium build 5′ 3″ woman is actually 8 st 10 lb so I’m slightly under the ‘normal’ weight for my height. I’m happy with this and would like to be able to keep my weight at around 8 st 7 lb rather than 9 st. The reason I originally set my target at 9 st was because I didn’t think I would be able to get below that weight!
Yesterday I sorted through my clothes and was delighted to find a size 10 holiday skirt which fitted beautifully! I haven’t been able to wear this for a few years and thankfully its one that never really goes out of fashion.
I’m consuming around 1200 – 1300 calories a day and still doing a huge amount of exercise most days. I’m anxious not to regain any of this weight and concerned that if I indulge in chocolate or cakes that I will lose my focus and the weight will pile on again…
A typical week of exercise for me at the moment is:
- Mon: walk 5.25 miles to the station and back; spend an hour at the gym (700 calories burned)
- Tue: work at home and go swimming at lunchtime (400 calories burned)
- Wed: work at home and go swimming at lunchtime (400 calories burned)
- Thu: walk to and from station and hour at gym (700 calories)
- Fri: as above (700 calories)
- Sat: walk around my local town (300 calories)
- Sun: walk with a local walking club (750 calories)
This is more exercise than I’ve ever done so I’m probably fitter now than I was 10 or even 20 years ago!
A typical day of eating goes something like this:
- Breakfast: a small bowl of bircher muesli with oat milk (300 calories)
- Snack: banana (100 calories)
- Lunch: Vegetarian soup from Pret (200 calories)
- Snack: grapes/mixed nuts (200 calories)
- Dinner: Sweet potato curry (400 calories)
- Coffee: (100 calories)
The calories are estimated and rounded to the nearest 100!
Having received some helpful advice from my best friend (who is the same height as me and has had a similar yo-yo diet pattern over the years), in order to try and maintain my current weight I am going to do the following:
- Stick to around 1200 calories a day during weekdays
- Continue doing lots of exercise each day
- Have treats and eat more at the weekends
And monitor my weight each week to keep a check and ensure it doesn’t start creeping upwards again!
Today I start my vegan month…