Advertised jobs I’ve been tempted to apply for so far this year = 8
Jobs applied for = 0
I’ve been in my current job since 2010 and at the beginning of the year I had a big urge to look for something different thus decided to include this at the last minute as one of my 50@50 challenges.
The issue I have at the moment is that I actually enjoy my job and have a relatively high degree of flexibility which suits the way I wish to lead my life… this is great but on the other hand I also love change and the prospect of ‘starting a new chapter’… I am a bit of an experience junkie and find the prospect of experiencing a new job and a different place to work to be hugely exciting…
Good things about my current job:
- 32.5 days annual leave (and I carried 10 over from last year)
- 2 flexi days per month (handy for weekend trips)
- I work with fantastic people and we all get on well
- I can work from home 2 x days a week
- I enjoy my job with new projects and areas of work each year
What is appealing about a different job:
- Higher earning potential = retire earlier/better pension… (proper retirement planning is important when you are 50…)
- I love change and new experiences
As is often the case, decisions are about striking a good balance in your life. I am fortunate to have such a flexible job which enables me enough time to take several trips each year which meets my desire to travel.
But… if I push myself a little could I potentially find a higher paid job, retire on a better pension and travel more when I’m older…